Report back from meeting at the OII + Help request
Tom Holden
2008-07-31 15:40:56 UTC
I've just got back from meeting the OII's director and two of his associates
with Kaihsu Tai (User:Kaishu).

All in all it was a very promising meeting. They are keen to help because
they believe in the project more than because they are looking to get out
anything particular out of it, which is the ideal situation really (which is
not to say that they weren't also excited by the probably press coverage).
They were not quite ready to commit definitely yet but they seemed very keen
and they expect to be able to give me a definite answer by mid-September.
They understand how much work it is to run a conference of this size due to
their contacts with the Berkman Centre at Harvard (something User:SJ who ran
the Harvard bid had expanded on to me in a very useful chat on the phone
last night) and seem prepared to put in a fairly significant amount of
effort themselves (starting with costing accommodation for us over the next
few weeks and beginning to draw up a budget). The suggestion was raised at
the meeting of partnering with other university departments which should
increase the amount the university could help us financially. This is
something I will be investigating over the next few weeks. They have
suggested several other potential sponsors which I shall be updating the bid
page with and contacting in turn if no one else volunteers to.

It is really looking like we could potentially present a pretty damn
compelling bid. From going through three years of conference abstracts last
night I got the firm impression that the Harvard/Berkman bid was the most
interesting of those three years, and the OII potentially offers a very
similar flavour of conference.

So this is now serious. Unless there's strong opposition in the next 24
hours I'll be removing all mention of UK bids other than Oxford since I
don't get the impression they're going anywhere. Even if the OII decided
this would not be feasible for them I do not see there being a better UK bid
at this point in time than Oxford.

We also need to start assigning people to clear, definite roles and to start
drawing up a timetable working backwards from the conference date to begin
to get an idea of when things need to be done by. (Both suggestions of SJ.)

As a first step it would be good to get a list of people who are prepared to
put some time into this. It would be particularly useful if some of the
"Wiki celebrities" on this list (or at least people who are well known on
en.wiki) would sign up to help since I imagine their name will carry more
weight with the bidding panel than mine.

We have a lot of work ahead of us if we're going to make this happen, but
it's far from impossible.

Tom
Al Tally
2008-07-31 15:45:44 UTC
Post by Tom Holden
[...]
This is great news.

I agree we should assign roles/make a timetable. I also definitely think we
should stick with Oxford from now on.
--
Al Tally
(User:Majorly)
Al Tally
2008-07-31 15:55:40 UTC
Could something just be clarified here: would Balliol College be used for
accommodation? The thing is, it's really far too small for the conference
itself - the largest capacity they hold is 90 - we need 500 at least.

What are we hoping to use for the conference itself? The town hall?
--
Al Tally
(User:Majorly)
Tom Holden
2008-07-31 16:03:08 UTC
Balliol is just for accommodation and social spaces. People from the OII are
going to get in contact with its master imminently to see how they could
help. We will however need at least one other college for accommodation
though, which the OII is also investigating for us. A £50 per person per
night figure sounds like the upper bound at the moment (fingers crossed).

I am using 700 as our guideline figure for attendance, so on that basis the
town hall would be just about big enough. The alternative, as I’ve mentioned
before, is either Town Hall + Exam Schools or Sheldonian + Exam Schools.

Tom

(User:Majorly)
Al Tally
2008-07-31 16:06:33 UTC
Post by Tom Holden
Balliol is just for accommodation and social spaces. People from the OII
are going to get in contact with its master imminently to see how they could
help. We will however need at least one other college for accommodation
though, which the OII is also investigating for us. A £50 per person per
night figure sounds like the upper bound at the moment (fingers crossed).
I am using 700 as our guideline figure for attendance, so on that basis the
town hall would be just about big enough. The alternative, as I've mentioned
before, is either Town Hall + Exam Schools or Sheldonian + Exam Schools.
Tom
Thanks , that's what I thought.

For those who use IRC, I've set up a channel on the freenode network:
#wikimania-oxford

Cheers,
--
Al Tally
(User:Majorly)
Cormac Lawler
2008-07-31 16:49:33 UTC
Post by Tom Holden
Balliol is just for accommodation and social spaces. People from the OII
are going to get in contact with its master imminently to see how they could
help. We will however need at least one other college for accommodation
though, which the OII is also investigating for us. A £50 per person per
night figure sounds like the upper bound at the moment (fingers crossed).
Thanks for all your work Tom, and this update. Though this accommodation
situation is another thing I would identify as already being a point of
concern. One of the criticisms of this year was that attendees'
accommodation was scattered across different places, meaning that social
potential was compromised. Of course, it was still liveable with :-) - but
just to point out that it would probably be a "perceived weakness" of the
bid. If there is any way of accommodating people all together, and as near
to the venue as possible, that would be best. These practical questions are
the things most likely to swing a bid IMHO, more than partnerships with
prestigious organisations (even though these are of course *great*).

Cormac
Tom Holden
2008-07-31 17:01:33 UTC
Sure, both fair points. We certainly want one of the city centre colleges,
and if we need multiple then getting neighbouring ones would be ideal (e.g.
Balliol + Trinity or Balliol + St. John’s). The centre of Oxford is in any
case pretty tiny. Nowhere is really more than 10 mins from anywhere else.

Cormac
Cary Bass
2008-07-31 17:14:03 UTC
Cormac Lawler wrote:

| On 7/31/08, *Tom Holden* <***@gmail.com
| <mailto:***@gmail.com>> wrote:
|
| Balliol is just for accommodation and social spaces. People from the
| OII are going to get in contact with its master imminently to see
| how they could help. We will however need at least one other college
| for accommodation though, which the OII is also investigating for
| us. A £50 per person per night figure sounds like the upper bound at
| the moment (fingers crossed).
|

| Thanks for all your work Tom, and this update. Though this accommodation
| situation is another thing I would identify as already being a point of
| concern. One of the criticisms of this year was that attendees'
| accommodation was scattered across different places, meaning that social
| potential was compromised. Of course, it was still liveable with :-) -
| but just to point out that it would probably be a "perceived weakness"
| of the bid. If there is any way of accommodating people all together,
| and as near to the venue as possible, that would be best. These
| practical questions are the things most likely to swing a bid IMHO, more
| than partnerships with prestigious organisations (even though these are
| of course *great*).
|
| Cormac

And if you must house the staff in a completely different venue (which,
if housed with board and advisory board, may be the case) please make
sure it's a short (2-3 minute) walk from the dormatories... Or just
stick me in with the attendees...

- --
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 415.839.6885 x 601
Fax: 415.882.0495

E-Mail: ***@wikimedia.org
Tom Holden
2008-07-31 17:22:28 UTC
Well for anyone on whom we're really lavishing the VIP treatment I was
thinking either the Randolph or Malmaison. The Randolph is right next to
Balliol, Malmaison's less central (in the old prison) but it has a greater
variety of room prices.

For the tier below VIPs which I presume you fall into, I don't think using
college accommodation would be that unreasonable. Balliol's Jowett Walk
buildings are modern, clean, well furbished and have en suite showers so are
probably more than adequate. They're 5 mins from main college. There are
also some en suite rooms in Balliol's front quad though they may be a little
small. I imagine other colleges will also have some en suite rooms so I
expect we'll manage something with the staff in basically the same buildings
as everyone else.

Tom

E-Mail: ***@wikimedia.org
Thomas Dalton
2008-07-31 17:29:46 UTC
Ouch! Well, I think you're very important, Cary! ;)
Tom Holden
2008-07-31 17:36:24 UTC
Ack! Sorry. No offence was intended. I'm really not sure who exactly does
count as a VIP.

Which raises a good question:

How many people do we expect to have to put up in hotels? It's the kind of
thing that can eat into your budget pretty quickly. Once we have a rough
indication of numbers we could start to investigate getting discounts.

Tom

Thomas Dalton
2008-07-31 17:54:04 UTC
Post by Tom Holden
Ack! Sorry. No offence was intended. I'm really not sure who exactly does
count as a VIP.
I was just kidding - Cary's not important at all. ;)
It's a good question, you're right. Cary?
joseph seddon
2008-07-31 19:37:42 UTC
Given the positive reaction we have had from this, i think we should take this opportunity with as much momentum as
possible. There are issues but even with those Oxford has my full support.
The John Lewis Clearance - save up to 50% with FREE delivery
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719806/direct/01/
Tom Holden

Tom Holden

E-Mail: ***@wikimedia.org
Tom Holden

Cormac
Tom Holden

2008-07-31 16:36:03 UTC
Excellent news! Well done. I agree we need to assign tasks, that's
something which hasn't been done in previous years and has led to
nothing getting done - leaving people to get on with whatever they
want works for writing an encyclopaedia, it doesn't work for
organising a conference. As for a timetable, that's a little difficult
at this point without the bidding timetable having been announced. We
can put together a rough estimate, though.
Sam Korn
2008-08-02 13:49:47 UTC
Post by Tom Holden
As a first step it would be good to get a list of people who are prepared to
put some time into this.
I can certainly add my name to this list. I'm at the "other place",
so getting to Oxford is something of a trial in term-time, but I am
certainly up for putting in some hours.

Thanks for your work in getting this moving!
--
Sam
PGP public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Korn/public_key
Paul Williams
2008-08-02 15:22:30 UTC
Post by Sam Korn
Post by Tom Holden
As a first step it would be good to get a list of people who are prepared to
put some time into this.
I can certainly add my name to this list. I'm at the "other place",
so getting to Oxford is something of a trial in term-time, but I am
certainly up for putting in some hours.
Thanks for your work in getting this moving!
--
Sam
PGP public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Korn/public_key
I ditto the above comments. Well done, good work, and call on me!
~ Paul Williams
Tom Holden
2008-08-02 15:30:28 UTC
I'm currently in the process of drawing up a complete list of tasks. Help
drawing up the list would be great, as would allocating yourself to some of
the tasks/team-leader positions when they're listed. See here:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2010/Bids/Oxford#Project_Deliverabl
es

As I said to Sam in a private message, your best bet for getting involved is
to join the #wikimania-oxford channel on freenode. There are already 6 of us
loitering in there, so it is increasingly becoming the organization hub.

(And thanks in advance for your help.)

Tom

~ Paul Williams
Tom Holden